Chemise a la Reine Upgrades
Okay, the pictures aren’t great, but I haven’t quite gotten my husband fully trained on how to take costume pictures. Â I have to take some responsibility as well, since I didn’t double check his snapshots before rushing out the door.
Just to recap, I made a new petticoat, the sash, bow, and ties. Â (The sash, bow, and ties are meant to look like one piece, but they were all constructed separately and then attached. Â The whole thing then closes with a large hook and eye. Â This design keeps each piece in place and looking much nicer than if it was just one long sash tied into a bow. Â Even the bow itself isn’t tied, but is two separate pieces of fabric sewn into a bow.)
I also frayed the ends of the ties so that I have about six inches of fringe at the ends, but you can’t see that in these photos. To do this, I first made sure to cut my fabric so that the red warp threads were the long way and the yellow weft threads ran across. Â I sewed the pieces to create tubes, leaving the bottom six inches unsewn. Â Once I turned them right side out and pressed the seam to the center back of the tie, I spent about an hour and a half per tie pulling out the weft threads. Â The stitching on the seam prevents the thread from raveling further.