Let’s lose the placket.

I managed to finish the curried cable jacket without using another skein, and I’m pleased with the results!  I took apart the placket like I talked about in my previous post.  With the yarn, I was able to finish seaming the sleeves and set them into the armscye.  Plus, I still had enough yarn to stabilize the center front so that I could sew the zipper in without worrying about any stretchy funny-business.  Now that it’s done, I think it looks just fine without the placket.  I’d actually been a little worried about the placket sticking out oddly because I’m rather well endowed–I really don’t need a wonky placket to draw attention to that area.

Of course, this also brings me to the woulda-coulda-shoulda segment of my post.  I really should have lengthened the jacket between the hem and the armscye shaping.  I remembered to shorten the bust-to-shoulder length, as I’m a little short in that area, but I forgot to compensate by lengthening the lower portion of the jacket.  Oh, well.  The issue may fix itself as I wear the jacket and it hangs-out a bit.  I could also cross my fingers and hope to lose some weight in the next couple of months, like I should. 🙂

I’ve also been working some on my second overlapping leaves sock.  I had some down time last weekend and was able to knit from the toe up to the gusset increases.  Then, tonight, I got started on those increases.  I may actually get these done before going on vacation.  I think I’ll need another sock project to bring with me, or maybe another baby blanket for a friend.

3 comments

    • Lora on February 6, 2010 at 6:00 pm
    • Reply

    did you have any troublewith the sleeve cap fitting? Seems the cap measures to 5 1/2″ but there is only 2 1/2″.

    • Lora on February 6, 2010 at 6:01 pm
    • Reply

    For the armholes.

    • ithilwyn on February 6, 2010 at 7:47 pm
    • Reply

    Hey Lora,

    No, I don’t recall having any issues with putting the sleeve in, but I’m used to sewing, where you always have to ease the sleeve in anyway. I did take out some of the length in the bodice between the shoulder and bustline, but I also took out a corresponding amount in the sleeve head. I usually concentrate the excess towards the top and upper back of the sleeve, where you want the extra room for movement, but spread it out enough so that it isn’t noticeable in the finished garment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.