Fabric: Printed rayon, cotton
Pattern: Decades of Style Kitchenette Pajamas
Notions: seam binding
How historically accurate is it? The pattern is based on a vintage pattern. I did not chose my fabrics with accuracy in mind, as I don’t intend to wear these to a specific event, but rather to over night events where I will want something to lounge around in for the evenings.
Hours to complete: 5
First worn: Last night.
Total cost: Completely made from stash fabric.
What I loved: the pattern is super straight forward and simple to put together. Plus, I didn’t really need anything other than the fabric itself–no buttons, hooks, zippers, etc. The fit is awesome–a little small on me right now, but I purposely made this one size too small expecting to lose a little weight soon. Oh, and it has pockets!
What I changed: I shortened the printed part of the trousers by almost two inches, since I’m only 5’3″ and don’t expect to wear this with heels as sown in the pattern illustration. I was surprised at how short they actually ended up…I really will ONLY be able to wear these with flats. (I know, I know…measure twice, cut once.) I’ll probably still shorten the pant legs next time I make the pattern again, but not by quite so much. Anyone taller than me may actually need to ADD length.
What I didn’t like: The neckline treatment. I always have issues using store bought seam binding, but I always gravitate back to it for convenience. Unfortunately, it really just doesn’t work for the neckline here, which I should have known–after all, there’s a reason why modern patterns use a shaped facing for necklines. I was able to press it into submission, but it still doesn’t lay as flat as I’d like.
Oh, and the armscye was too tight on me, but that’s normal. I have large arms. I just dropped the bottom edge a bit to give me a bit more space.