«

Mar 07

Scroop Patterns: Fantail Skirt

As someone who sews fairly regularly, it’s incredibly exciting and honoring to be asked to become part of someone’s pattern making process.  I can’t often take up the call for pattern testers due to my schedule as a full-time teacher and mom of twins, but for once, everything seemed to line up and I got to test the newest offering from Scroop Patterns, the Fantail Skirt.

This was the first time I’d used a digital pattern, but I didn’t have any problems on that end.  I will say that, in the future, I think I’ll look into getting the pattern printed at a store that can do the larger format, as trimming the pieces and lining everything up before even being able to cut out the pattern pieces wore a little thin, and this wasn’t even that big of a pattern.  Oh, and this is where it’s super helpful to read all of the “before you print” instructions–I was able to print JUST the pages that I needed, since I was just doing the modern skirt, so I didn’t need the historical pieces nor the directions for either skirt, since I could just look at those on my device as I sewed.

After printing the pattern, the biggest dilemma was choosing my fabric.  So much of my stash is either reserved for historical projects or doesn’t really suit me anymore (or wouldn’t suit this particular project).  I decided to use a fabric that technically could have worked for something historical but that has been languishing in the stash for far too long and simply needs to be used.  The only potential drawback is that it is silk, so I’ll need to commit myself to taking some of my wardrobe to the dry cleaner regularly, something I’ve astutely avoided up until now.  I was convinced by reminding myself that I’m a grown woman and am old enough that should have some nice things in my wardrobe that require occasional trips to the dry cleaner.

The fabric looks black in this picture, but its actually a very deep navy.

Once that decision was made, the rest was easy.  The pattern went together beautifully, and while there were a couple of hiccoughs with the instructions, those have been corrected for the final version of the pattern, which is the whole point of pattern testing anyway, right?

The finished skirt is SO much fun to wear.  I ultimately decided to lengthen it, as I don’t tend to wear knee length skirts very frequently and worried that if I made the shorter length, I just wouldn’t wear the skirt very often.  (This did happen with a different skirt that I absolutely love, but just don’t want to wear very often because of how short it is.  By modern modesty standards, it’s just fine, but for my comfort level, it just doesn’t work.)

I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about the sewn-down pleats for the modern version (I really like how the historical version looks), but realized that this really does work better for how I tend to wear modern clothing–with my shirt untucked.  The open pleats wouldn’t show and would just add bulk at the back of my shirt.

 

Please excuse the funny face and the odd angle. Taking these on my own was a bit of a challenge.

Couple final notes:

  • I received a copy of this pattern for free as a pattern tester.  The test pattern was incredibly well done and the few errors that the testers did find have been corrected in the final version.
  • The measurements for the final garment are spot-on!  I chose one size down from my actual measurements just because I KNOW that I need a slightly tight waistband on my skirts in order for them to feel comfortable.  Know your measurements, know how you like your garments to fit, or make a mock up.
  • Also, please note that I am a plus-sized woman, and the skirt fits beautifully.

1 comment

  1. Gail Shobe

    gorgeous

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>