I originally started my website to post dress diaries for my costuming hobby and book reviews for my reading addiction. Of course, I pick up new hobbies like they are going out of style, and have recently returned to crochet and, shortly after, taught myself to knit. It has been incredibly addictive.
So, I’ve decided that I need a blog dedicated to this hobby that is now taking up significant chunks of my time. While I do enjoy posting my projects on ravelry, I also want a space to just jot things down as I go, keeping a record of what I learn along the way.
Now, the fun part: what am I currently working on?
I’ve been working on several Riego patterns. Eventually, my hope is to sell them on etsy, but I want to get a few more done so that I have a bit of stock to put up. The one problem that I have been running into with the patterns is that I don’t think they were intended for us modern (uhum…larger) women. The circumference of the first collar I made was only 13 inches before blocking. Even after blocking, I’m afraid it won’t fit most modern women. It’s possible to expand the pattern, though it takes a bit of math and a little guess work. I’ve also had some luck with going up a hook size, though that doesn’t give me a whole lot more length to work with and will also increase the width of the collar, which are already a bit wider than most reenactors tend to wear. At any rate, I obviously need to play around with this a bit more.
Another project I’m also in the middle of, which isn’t a collar, but it’s still Victorian, is a miser’s purse. I’m using a Civil War era pattern, but I’ve found it necessary to modify it quite a bit. The first problem I had with the pattern as written is that it does not give instructions for the beaded design within a striped section. I guess the pattern maker assumed that everyone would know how to do a band of laurel in beads. Not me. I improvised with star bursts. I ran into another problem when I got to the opening; now, it was easy enough to get the beads to the right side of my work when I was crocheting in the round, not so easy when I’m working back and forth for the opening. After several attempts at trying to get the beads to stay on the correct side of the work, I gave up. So, the opening will not have the beads around it as shown in the pattern. Still, I’m liking the look of it, though I don’t think these are practical for selling, unless I can figure out a way to work much faster. I suppose I could make some without beads; I’ll have to test that out to see.
I’m currently working on the Spanish Moss Coat from Interweave Crochet , Fall 2008. I’ve got the back done and am working on the side front. It is crocheted out of lace weight yarn, so it is taking forever, but it is a simple stitch pattern, so it’s been my TV watching project.
Well, my first few kniting projects have not been incredibly successful. My stamina is partly to blame (i.e. I’m never going to finish the blanket I started as a way to practice cables). The strug I made is cute, but let’s face it, I just don’t wear strugs all that often. One sweater I made turned out WAY too big and had to be frogged. Another sweater ended up with too wide of a neckline and can only be worn when it is cold enough for multiple layers…something that doesn’t happen too often where I live.
So, I’ve decided that my next project should be a pair of socks. Fortunately, I had recently fallen in love with the perfect pair: the lace stockings found in Vogue Knitting, Spring/Summer 2009. I got some inexpensive, though soft, yarn to start with, since I still really don’t trust my knitting skills, especially when I’m tackling a lace pattern. I’ve made a few mistakes in the lace pattern so far, but nothing I couldn’t fix or fake. Of course, I haven’t gotten to the gusset yet, so my confidence may be inappropriate this early in the game. At any rate, I’m enjoying the challenge.